About the Friends of the Ashland Public Library
The purpose of the Friends of the Ashland Public Library is to support the mission of the Ashland Public Library and the Jackson County Library District through fundraising, volunteerism, and advocacy.
In addition to members’ dues and donations, our main fundraising activity is the ongoing book sale in the library lobby. In 2019, the book sale team raised over $11,400. For more information, look here.
Your Membership and Donations at Work
Here are some examples of the ways we put your membership dues and donations to work for the library and the community in 2019 and 2020:
- Baby’s First Book early literacy program with Ashland Community Hospital; each newborn’s family receives a book and a packet of information. This program has been so successful that it has now been adopted district-wide.
- Providing book bags for to all Ashland first graders for Rotary’s Ashland Reads program
- Children’s programming, including storytellers, crafts, and preschool, wobbler, and toddler story times
- Teen gaming, film, and crafts events and writing programs
- Summer reading programs and book prizes for adults, children and teens
- Winter Reads adult reading program prizes
- Movie showings for all ages, with popcorn
- Monthly Art Salons for adults
- Author visits to the library and the annual Local Author Fair
- The Oregon Shakespeare Festival collection, which highlights plays and supporting material for the previous, current, and upcoming seasons
- Ashland’s Hot of the Press DVD collection of currently popular titles
- National Library Week activities, and recognition for staff and volunteers
- Library flags on holidays and winter season holiday lights
- Support for the Storytelling Guild’s annual Children’s Festival
- Support for the Chautauqua Poets & Writers visits
- Collection of books for the Ashland Food Bank
- Partnering with Jackson County Library Foundation on district-wide projects
In addition, we have set funds aside to support major library projects, such as technology upgrades and remodeling of the lower level meeting rooms and kitchen.
Our volunteers help with library events such as the Author Fair, coffees for special festivities, and the annual membership meeting. The book sale team organizes donations daily. Volunteers staff the newsletter and the website team and help with other publicity projects. The all-volunteer board manages the Friends activities and projects and safeguards the effective use and investment of our financial resources.
If you are interested in volunteering for the Friends, look here.
In addition, many of our members volunteer for Ashland Public Library through the Jackson County Library Services volunteer program, for example, as shelvers, and Outreach and Children’s Services volunteers.
If you are interested in volunteering for Jackson County Library Services, look here.
Throughout our history, the Friends have advocated for the library. For example, Friends worked tirelessly to reopen the libraries during the closure crisis, and we were spirited advocates for the successful 2014 “Libraries for All” campaign to form a separate library taxing district to secure the libraries’ future. We also have an active liaison to the Ashland Chamber of Commerce.