About the Friends of the Ashland Public Library
The mission of the Friends of the Ashland Public Library is to support the mission of the Ashland Public Library and the Jackson County Library District through fundraising, volunteerism, and advocacy.
In addition to members’ dues and donations, our main fundraising activity is the ongoing book sale in the library lobby. For more information, look here.
Your Membership and Donations at Work
Here are some examples of the ways we put your membership dues and donations to work for the library and the community in 2022:
- Children’s programs including storytellers, crafts, and storytimes
- Teen gaming and crafting programs
- Adult programs including monthly music program in the library
- Summer reading programs; book prizes for adults, children and teens
- In partnership with the Rotary Club of Ashland, purchased book bags for all Ashland first graders, part of their Ashland Reads program
- Rogue Reads programs
- The Oregon Shakespeare Festival collection which highlights plays and supporting material for the previous, current, and upcoming OSF seasons
- National Library Week activities and recognition for staff and volunteers
- In partnership with the Ashland Kiwanis Club, American flags flying on the library building (Veterans Day, Pearl Harbor Day, Martin Luther King Day, Presidents Day, Armed Forced Day, Memorial Day, Flag Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Patriots Day)
- Winter season holiday lights on the library building
- Financial support to the Storytelling Guild for their annual Children’s Festival
- Partnership with the Jackson County Library Foundation on district-wide projects
- $100,000 contribution to the renovation of the lower-level meeting rooms, kitchen, and staff lounge
- $75,000 allocated to support the next phase of the library renovation project
Our volunteers operate the ongoing book sale in the library, they help with library events and special festivities, and manage the website.
The all-volunteer board of directors manages Friends’ activities and projects and safeguards the effective use and investment of our financial resources.
If you are interested in volunteering for the Friends, look here.
There are also volunteer opportunities through the Jackson County Library Services volunteer program, for more information look here.
Throughout our history, the Friends have advocated for the library. For example, Friends worked tirelessly to reopen the libraries during the closure crisis, and we were spirited advocates for the successful 2014 “Libraries for All” campaign to form a separate library taxing district to secure the libraries’ future. We also have an active liaison to the Ashland Chamber of Commerce.