Library events are canceled and branch closures announced
Medford, Oregon (March 13, 2020)—The Jackson County Library District Board voted yesterday to implement protocols immediately in response to the coronavirus pandemic. In response to Governor Brown’s decision to close all K12 schools statewide, JCLS will close 13 of its 15 branches beginning Monday, March 16. The Ashland and Medford branches will be open 10:00 a.m.‒6:00 p.m. Monday-Friday and 12 Noon—4:00 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.
All library programs and meeting room use is also suspended through March 31. Further cancellations and closures will be determined by March 23, with an eye toward making any cancellations at least two weeks prior to event dates. Medford Comic Con, scheduled for Saturday, April 25 and Sunday, April 26, is also canceled. Please see below for the full list of changes and cancellations.
“The role of the library in a community, by nature, is as a public space and we take that responsibility seriously,” says Kari May, Library Director. “As such these adjustments to our services are not made lightly, but with the goal to protect the health of both our staff and patrons.” Libraries are so much more than what is contained within its walls, and we encourage library users to take advantage of our wide-reaching digital resources, and to call or email our reference teams with questions to limit face-to-face interactions.
· All library-sponsored events are canceled through March 31.
· Medford Comic Con is canceled.
· All deliveries and services to homebound will be replaced by deliveries via US Mail (with costs covered by JCLS).
· Outreach to Child Care storytime visits are canceled through March 31.
· All in-person appointments with Digital Services staff are canceled through March 31. Staff will be available 10:00 a.m.‒4:00 p.m. Monday‒Friday by phone and/or video conferencing to assist patrons.
· Computer terminals will be staggered to help ensure social distancing recommendations.
· Due dates for library materials will be extended for patrons upon request.
· Storytime videos will be available on jcls.org by March 23.
· Book donations will not be accepted until further notice.
Effective March 16:
· Thirteen of 15 branches will be closed through Monday, March 31. The Ashland and Medford branches will remain open and extend their hours to 7 days a week. Operating hours at both branches will be from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Monday‒Friday, and 12 Noon‒4:00 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.
· Meeting room usage will be canceled through Monday, March 31.
· Circulation transactions will be through self-check stations only.
Contacts for reference or Digital Services questions:
Medford Reference: 541-774-8689 / firstname.lastname@example.org
Ashland Reference: 541-774-6996 / email@example.com
Digital Services: 541-774-3990 / firstname.lastname@example.org
While our Ashland and Medford branches remain open, we ask that patrons comply with State recommendations to maintain social distancing and hygiene protocols. Library staff reserves the right to limit access to libraries to ensure everyone’s safety.
We continue to monitor local, State, and Federal recommendations and will post updates to services, closures, and cancelations on jcls.org and Facebook (@jclibraryservices).
You are invited to the Friends of the Ashland Public Library annual meeting on March 14 from 1-3 pm at the Ashland Library Gresham Room.
We will review our accomplishments and goals, elect board members, and honor the Friend and the Business Partner of the Year.
The program will feature JPR’s Geoffrey Riley who will take us “Around the World in Five Days” on the Jefferson Exchange.
Riley is a New York native, with stints in broadcast news in Missouri, Alabama, and Wisconsin before his arrival in Oregon. He marked his tenth anniversary as the full-time host of the Jefferson Exchange at the end of 2019, and his 35th year as a Rogue Valley broadcaster followed soon after. He will talk about a typical week at the Jefferson Exchange and answer questions about his thirty-five years as a journalist in the State of Jefferson.
The public is invited and refreshments will be served.
Hope you can join us!